Emergency Electrician London 365 logo

Our office
43 Dudley Court, London, W1H5QA

Do I Need An Electrical Safety Certificate To Sell My House?

An electrical safety certificate is an authentication issued by a certified electrician that all appliances and electrical circuits in a property are safe to use – and in full working order. It’s recommended that electrical systems are checked every five to ten years.

The electrical certificate may also be referred to as an EICR – this simply means electrical installation condition report. This article will guide you through electrical safety check certificate legal requirements for homeowners and landlords.

Electrical Safety Certificate Information

Do I need an electrical safety certificate to sell my house?

This frequently asked question is answered by stating that this is not a legal requirement at the present time. An electrical safety certificate when selling your house would be of great benefit to any prospective buyers as this would mean they wouldn’t have to conduct their own.

However, you’ll be required to provide an electrical safety certificate if you’re selling your home through a trusted representative or estate agent. And if you decide to rent out your home this won’t be considered without one.

What does a safety inspection check?

An electrical safety check will:

  • Define any damage and extent of wear and tear
  • Disclose any poor electrical work
  • Realise any potential safety risks
  • Demonstrate overloaded electrical circuits or equipment
  • Ascertain earthing and bonding measures have been undertaken adequately
  • Check appropriate servicing of equipment

Electricity meter for check

How long does an electrical safety check take?

An approximation of the time taken to complete an electrical safety check is two hours. This obviously depends on the size and age of your property. You may get instructions on how to prepare for the visit – including removing personal belongings from around your meter to allow easy access.

You’ll need to unplug as many appliances as possible, and let the engineer have access to your entire home, as every light switch and socket, will need to be tested.

As a landlord what are my electrical safety obligations?

An electrical safety certificate UK is required by law to ensure that the electrical installation in a rented property is safe – and maintained throughout its duration. All appliances must be safe and carry the CE marking meeting all requirements of European law.

Visual inspections should be conducted between tenancies. And if there are any electrical issues work must be carried out by a registered electrician. The regular carrying out of safety checks on electrical appliances within the property should be provided as part of the tenancy agreement.

The law states that you must also ensure that all electrical installations, sockets and light fittings are safe when tenants move in, and remain so throughout the tenancy. If you’re a landlord with a house of multiple occupancies a periodical inspection must be carried out every five years by law.

What happens if I don’t comply with electrical safety regulations?

As a landlord if the electrical safety report determines that installations and appliance are unsafe you could be facing:

  • A fine of £5,000
  • Imprisonment of six months
  • Criminal charges in the event of injury or death
  • Property insurance that becomes invalid

How can I improve the electrical safety in my property?

To make sure your tenants stay safe you should:

  • Ensure the fitting of a residual current device – known as an RCD – to the fuse box. This helps to provide protection against electrical fires, and prevent electric shocks that can be fatal
  • Provide tenants with information on how to access the main consumer unit, fuses, and isolator switches in the property
  • Give tenants a copy of operating instructions for all appliances provided
  • Make sure that if appliances aren’t brand new that they’ve been thoroughly tested before installation
  • Keep up to date with lighting and wiring regulations – and use registered electricians for every electrical-related job

Where can I get the re-wiring or new installation done?

A professional electrician will be registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) and will deliver any job to meet the highest British standards for electrical installations

A 24-hour emergency electrician will be available to help with all aspects of electrical work and testing – including installation of new lighting and switches, re-wiring of new installations, and providing you with Landlord Safety Certificates.